Friday, December 12, 2014

It's 12/12/14 - the 2nd anniversary of my blog!

Two years already? Wow! I've been looking back through my posts and am SO glad I began this blog to celebrate everyday life and capture the memories made while accomplishing items both big and small.

I've mentioned it before, but it seems like if I don't make a list of fun things to do, then days pass by and more and more things get chalked up to that big imaginary "one day I'll do this and this and this" list while I'm busy doing the things that have to be done. The thing is, what if that "one day" in the future never comes?

While in Italy last year to celebrate my 40th birthday, I heard over and over things like, "Live Life!" and "Enjoy Life!" and of course the infamous, "Carpe diem!" meaning "Seize the day!" Everywhere I looked at the locals, they were not just doing the 'duties' of life, they were enjoying life. Frankly, it was inspiring and life-changing for me to see and hear these things.

I come from a hard-working farming family, and if you grew up on a farm you'll understand that the work - the things to do that must be done - never ends. I have nothing against this upbringing; in fact, I would want do the same thing if I had kids of my own. However, whether I missed the memo on enjoying life in the midst of life, whether it's my my personality (serious) or my birth order (firstborn in a long line of firstborns), whether it's my generation (Gen-X) or something else, I didn't seem to understand or recognize the very real need for balance between work and fun in my life.

I am thankful to have learned this lesson now and will continue to practice this enjoyment of life each day. There are so many things to be thankful for - the basics of food, clothing and shelter of course, but also the general things we often don't think about in any given day. Some of my favourite things to be thankful for (and smile about!) are sunsets, ice cream, all green lights when you're on your way to work, children's laughter, lilacs blooming in the spring, a good night's sleep, hearing "My Girl" by the Temptations on the radio, the first rain in the spring, a bright blue summer sky, and so much more!

God bless you this Christmas and all throughout 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment