Monday, December 31, 2018

2018: The Year in Review

Twenty-eighteen was a hard year for me. Due to workplace stress and not being in a good place physically, mentally and emotionally, 2018 was the most difficult winter of my life. Things actually began to become better when the bottom fell out of my job and I came to the realization that work was something to do and not the thing to do! Thus began my change in outlook.

In the meantime, I had booked the first two weeks of July as vacation. The first week would be spent with my sister in the Regina area, and the second week would be spent with my friend Melinda and her two eldest nieces - ages 14 and 15 - at Clear Lake in Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba.

Week 1 highlights involved Canada Day celebrations, a football game in the new stadium, learning to play disc golf, and visits to Regina Beach and Condie Nature Reserve. We ate well, rested, played games and completed puzzles, watched favourite old TV shows (now on DVD), window-shopped in malls, and generally hung out. It was just what the doctor ordered.


Week 2 began with driving through new territory as we took the north route into the national park. We stayed right in the park and had easy access to all sorts of fun including a swimming pool, shopping and restaurants. We searched for Parks Canada red chairs, did a kayak tour, tested multiple flavours of ice cream, explored the area on foot and by bike and vehicle, and enjoyed the sunsets.

The first night's sunset was the best!

In the summer and throughout the fall I began group tutoring (teaching English) with the Regina Public Library. It was a great opportunity to get some practice under my belt and see if this is what I might want to do overseas at some point. We'll see...

In August, I began a job search in earnest. A month later I accepted a new position that was a promotion and included a raise. I have been busy wrapping my head around another new position in a different ministry with the government ever since.

Also in August was The Drop Zone. It was an amazing experience, and I honestly feel I can do anything now! Talk about redemption - with my job and my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment