Thursday, July 25, 2013

Item #23 - Learn more about my family history

Today my sister Susan and I drove to Carberry, Manitoba where our paternal grandfather was born. Neither of us had ever been here before, so we were eager to explore this town.


Tip #1: Make sure you know which time zone your destination is in.

We started out our day an hour later than we planned on, but by the time we arrived in Carberry we had lost another hour. Saskatchewan time doesn't change, but Manitoba time does! Ah well, we carried on...

Our first stop was the Carberry Museum which included a tour of the 'gingerbread house' - one of only three such styled houses in Canada. This was my favourite part of the town tour actually - it was so pretty and unique on the outside. We began our tour of the museum, but never did finish it as we had other places we wanted to see, such as the library. There we scoured through the history books of the area as quickly as we could, but no reference to the Laycock family was found.

Looking back at the records my dad's cousin Clarence had provided me with, we saw that my great grandparents had only lived in Carberry for eight years (1902-1910) before moving to Saskatoon. My grandpa was born in January 1910, so was only a few months old when the move occurred.

We realized we weren't going to learn very much, so we turned our attention to the historic main street of Carberry, which has stood for over 100 years. Between walking the street where my great grandparents would have walked and seeing a picture in the museum of how the main street looked in 1904, I felt we had gotten a good view of the little town of Carberry, Manitoba.

More information on Carberry can be found here: http://www.townofcarberry.ca/.

1 comment:

  1. I won't forget running down main street in the pouring rain either... :) Good memories!

    ReplyDelete