Sunday, December 16, 2012

Item #2 - Serve a Meal in a Soup Kitchen

On Friday night (December 14) I went to Souls Harbour RESCUE Mission and helped to serve a meal to the homeless. It was a wonderful experience.

A friend and her husband were preparing the meal and had asked for volunteers to help serve. This is something I've thought of doing for a few years and it just took an invitation to make it happen. I am thankful that the opportunity to volunteer with some others I knew came along.

When I arrived at the mission, the plates were already being dished up in preparation to begin serving the supper meal at 5:00 p.m. I and several other volunteers distributed roast beef dinners to those that were seated and waiting, and we kept an eye out for newcomers to be served and empty plates to be removed from the tables. I poured coffee and more coffee (and more coffee!) and made a few rounds with the dessert trays too. I wasn't sure what I could say to anyone, but found that a smile and the offer of more coffee or dessert was just fine.

Once everyone was served and had their fill and after most had left, we began to clean up and then we sat down to our own roast beef dinner. Good conversation and prayer for a few of those that had come for the free meal followed.

I left feeling blessed and having had a very good experience volunteering at something way outside my comfort zone. It was a blessing to serve those that came through the doors that evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment